Planting Winter Rye? Please check with your City
As winter slowly rolls in we get calls about planting winter rye. This is something that should be evaluated with your expectations in relation to your City”s restrictions on watering requirements to get winter grasses established nicely. Below are some excerpts from some of the City’s various websites on this issue:
Frisco Current Watering Schedule:
Stage 2 restrictions are still in effect. Frisco continues to work towards reducing water consumption by 10 percent as recommended by the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD). Watering cool season grasses (such as rye grass or similar grasses) that intensify water requirements is prohibited, except for erosion control. To read more about Stage 2 and to check for your allowed watering days, visit the City of Frisco website to learn more.
McKinney Water Restrictions:
Beginning June 1, the City of McKinney is in Stage 2 of the Drought Contingency Plan.
Current Outdoor Watering Restrictions
Landscape watering with an irrigation system is allowed two days a week if needed, but not between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. You can water on your residential trash pickup day and again three days later if needed. Find your residential trash zone
- Commercial properties’ watering schedules are determined by the residential trash zone where the property is located. Find your residential trash zone.
- Watering by hand, soaker hoses or drip irrigation is allowed anytime
- No use of water that allows runoff or other water waste
- No landscape watering during any form of precipitation
- An exception is allowed for new landscapes; they may be watered as necessary for 30 days from the date of installation with proof of purchase or certificate of completion
- Registered and properly operated ET Controller systems may operate without restrictions.
- Please contact the Water / Waste Water Department at 972-547-7360 for questions regarding watering restrictions. To report a water violation, please call the water restriction hotline.
No winter overseeding allowed!